Are you an avid surfer? If so, you might immediately recognize Arugam Bay. Even if you are not, you might be interested in learning more about the popular tourist attraction. Arugam Bay is a quiet little village located 320 km east of Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka, and is ranked among the 10 best surfing destinations in the world. In this article, I will tell you 5 good reasons that you must do to visit Arrogum Bay.
Arugham Bay is not your usual surfing destination with modern amenities. It is a societal destination, where small guest houses and a single star hotel are located side by side. This does not make it less attractive to regular visitors who visit frequently every year. Although this destination was destroyed by the 2004 tsunami and conflict, the adventurous Arugam Bay community has returned the destination to its ancient glory. The much improved roads, which reduced travel times by about an hour and a half and the return of peace have made Arugam Bay a destination you should not miss.
Here are the top 5 reasons to visit Arugam Bay:
- It is the third highest ranked among the ten best surf destinations in the world. So, if you are a surf enthusiast or interested in learning windsurfing then this is the place for you. You don't even need to bring your equipment, as you can hire surfing equipment from local groups, which also provide training for beginners surfers. It has more than 10 points for surfing and surfing wonderfully between April and October and it is also the stage for local and international surfing events held during this period.
- From November to April the sea is good for swimming and snorkelling, and conditions are perfectly right if you are looking for a quiet getaway. Accommodation prices can get very low prices and you can find a very decent room with basic facilities for around $ 15 a night.
- If you are a wildlife enthusiast, the Premium Wildlife Sanctuaries are just minutes away from this destination. It is just a 20-minute drive from the famous Elephant Sanctuary of Lahugala. You may even pass through some of these majestic monsters if you are on the road if you are on the inner road to get here. The Kumana Bird Sanctuary is only 10 km south of Arugam Bay, and birds from Siberia are known to migrate to this location to escape winter.
- Panama sand dunes allow you to wander around an unspoiled area of land, and even go on a jeep safari to the dunes. The Potoville sand dunes are much closer, but they are located in the middle of a crowded small town, but nothing less attractive is on its own little way.
- The area near Argum Bay also includes a collection of ancient ruins. Kudumbegala Archaeological Reserve hosts monastic caves dating back to the twelfth century AD. The ancient temple of Okanda is believed to be dedicated to Lord Skanda, which is located on a cliff south of the Gulf of Urugham, and appears in "Sinbad Tales". The monuments of the southern kingdom of Magama were found nearly a thousand years ago in the city of Potoville, sand dunes and within the Laugala Reserve. It is said to have been built to honor the mother of the warrior king Dotujimono from the kingdom of Anradhapura.
Tourist attractions in Argum Bay are very numerous and serve visitors of various interests. It's amazing that many attractions must be close to each other. Besides the very friendly service by the villagers who manage the facilities, I highly recommend visiting here especially if you have a limited budget.